Men And Christmas Don’t Mix

They can’t get the wrapping right
My husband once told me that he thought it was pointless wrapping something up for the sole purpose of opening it up again. This makes perfect sense to me. If this is typical of what other men think, then it’s little wonder men get sick of wrapping presents year after year. This dislike is probably the reason behind them not being able to do it quite right. Men’s perception of abstract beauty (for example a bow tied perfectly on a Christmas present) is quite different from that of their women counterparts. We pay attention to the wrapping paper. They want to know what’s inside it!

They can’t find scotch tape or scissors
Have you ever noticed how men conduct searches? Look left, look right. That’s it. The tape and scissors may very well be right under their noses, but lifting the wrapping paper to look under it is not even considered in manosphere; nor is looking up or down a bit. This kind of behaviour is conducive to losing wrapping tools they put down just seconds ago. I blame tunnel vision.

Writing cards, getting the kids to bed and making a Christmas shopping list
Multitasking? You’re joking right?

Last-minute shopping
The problem is that men don’t know where to start looking, or what to look for when it comes to shopping for their family’s presents. Consequently, it’s a very stressful time for them. No wonder putting off Christmas shopping until the very last minute always seems to be a workable option.

Short of asking each person pointedly what they want, it’s quite difficult to figure out what your partner would like for Christmas. You know that they need a new ironing board and it’s practical that this should be what they receive. This is true. However, imagining a book, fashion, scent a woman might be pleased with, is admittedly a gigantic task to overcome. In my other article, How To Get Your Man To Behave This Christmas
I outline ways in which you (the woman) can help with this particular phenomenon.

Help for the man who wants to help maintain his family relationships this Christmas

Men: if you're finding it stressful at Christmas, collect a few catalogues and bring them home. Ask your family to go through them and make a list of 10 things they would like to have. Choose a few items from each person's list so that the element of surprise is still maintained. You know exactly where to go to uplift these items. Nothing could be easier!

Here are some more Relationship Help articles

9 comments:

Judy Sheldon-Walker December 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM

My husband used to just give me money for Christmas - no wrapping or shopping. I would buy him a carefully selected and wrapped gift that would draw dust. Now we just say Merry Christmas. What could be easier? :-)

Rev James Fouther December 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Thanks for the smile this busy Christmas season. Men mellow too. We get to liking some aspects of Christmas as we mature. Give your hubby a chance...okay?

Anne Lyken-Garner December 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I do give him a break. :-) I get all the presents for the kids and tell him exactly what I want.

Thanks for the visit and welcome to my blog. Please come again.

Anonymous December 18, 2009 at 1:59 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jay December 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I wish I had your wise advice a few days earlier.

Icy BC December 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM

You're right! You can't really depend on the men to shopping, wrapping and hiding the presents..

The Plastic Mancunian December 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Very good and very true.

I leave wrapping to my missus for the reasons you specify - I just pop hers in a gift bag (but only because she wants it hidden in some weird way).

Men aren't useless - we just don't understand women - and I would also go as far as saying that women don't really understand men either.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Anne Lyken-Garner December 23, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Hi PM,
Maybe you're right. I'd say that even though there are women who do not understand men, there is a higher percentage of men who don't understand women.
I'll tell you a secret. A lot of women don't understand women either.
We change our minds too often. Anyone who says they understand women is lying. You can't understand something which is constantly changing. :-)

Laura December 26, 2009 at 5:14 AM

Once I showed my husband how to make neat, tidy corners he was able to get not only good at wrapping gifts but creative too.

Share It

Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.