Change Your Mind To Change Your Weight - Tips That Work

In my book How To Really Lose Weight Without Dieting I set out a detailed programme showing you how you can change your mind about your eating habits.
This is the key to losing weight and keeping it off. No diet plan will work for a real life change on a long term basis, if the mind is held in a weighted rut. Here I will show you six quick tips on how you can change your mind to change your weight. Do this for three weeks to set the tone. If you find this working for you, you can buy the book and begin the tried and tested weight-changing programme, certain to work for you.

1. Start with a positive, attainable goal. Think of something small like skipping dessert on Wednesdays and Thursdays or not eating anything after 9 pm.

2. Reward yourself. Of course these have to be non-food options. Go for a new pair of earrings at the end of the week once your goal has been achieved. A longer-than-usual shower or bath, or a trip to the cinema can also be fine ways of rewarding yourself.

3. Stop thinking about eating. Every time you find yourself thinking, 'I could really do with a...' stop yourself by drinking a glass of water and retrain your thoughts with, 'Water is a great way of washing unwanted toxins out of my body.' Remember you were responsible for training your thoughts about overeating and only you can retrain them with healthy alternatives. It took you years to improperly train your thoughts about eating, so retraining will take time, but will work.

4. Write down your aims for the next two weeks. Put them in a place that's visible to you every day (like on the kitchen cupboard or fridge). Read them daily to remind yourself what you want to achieve. Put them into practise and watch your lifestyle change slowly.

5. Do not go on a diet. Instead, lighten each portion you eat. No self-punishment means no reason to crave food. If you don't think you're missing something, your body won't know that you are.

6. Be happy without food. Take part in activities which make you happy. These have to be non-food related activities. Train the mind to remember how happiness can be had without having to eat something.

This book can be purchased at the above link (Kindle) or in hard copy format

9 comments:

Icy BC July 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I love your title of the post! It's so true about the mind set to achieve goals.

Wonderful tips, Anne!

Queen of the Rant July 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM

These are great tips, that do not take much work, thanks, I love these kind!

Anne Lyken-Garner July 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM

One tip, one day at a time, usually set the stage for a lifelong commitment rather than passing fads and diets. Thanks for the visit Icy and QR. Please let me know if you need any more tips.

jo oliver July 15, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Great article Anne. I specifically like the reward yourself idea. People with overeating problems often associate satisfaction with food. Reward with non-food items can retrain the brain to associate satisfaction with something other than food.

Self Sagacity July 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Wonderful tips, Anne! The mind is a powerful tool, indeed..

kitchen table July 16, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I think I found the best tips to make me loose weight. I have try a lot of tips. But they all just a myth. Thank you for sharing that very useful tips.

Anne Lyken-Garner July 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

You're welcome, Jo, Amanda and KT. I've got some tried and tested tips and ideas. Happy to share.

farouk August 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

very good tips, thanks for the post :)

Abyooda August 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

nice post, thanks for the info :)

There was an error in this gadget
Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.