Gifts for Men

Father's day is coming up in a few weeks and even though I've written articles on the subject of gifts for men and boys, I've frankly run out of ideas for presents to give to, or do for my husband this year. We call it father's day, but if we're honest, it really should be, 'husbands' day' because the wives end up doing most of the organisation. Many times we're organising events and presents, for our own dad, our husband, and even our husband's dad.

now, here's a present any man would crave
As if finding birthday gifts for men wasn't hard enough, we now have to squeeze out the last drop of imagination our brains can muster, and come up with fantastic presents for father's day. Don't get me wrong, I do love giving presents, but after years have gone by and you've given everything you know they need or want, all other gifts just seem like random 'stuff'. It's a rut that takes a lot of work to get out of.

My questions are: 1. Are you heavily involved in organising father's day presents, meals etc for your husband?
2. Do you always manage to find imaginative presents, or do you go with the easy option of 'more black socks'?

This post is linked to Thursday Two Questions meme, hosted by Self-Sagacity.

9 comments:

DoanLegacy May 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM

When my father was still alive, we just get together and BBQ for a meal as he didn't like to receive presents!

Once in a while, we would buy tools that he didn't have so he could fix things around the house.

Icy BC May 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM

When I was still married, we just went out to dinner, bought "him" his desired fishing lures, but after we had to combine the celebration we his father, I just showed up.

Now, my kids are old enough to take care of that part, and I'm divorced, so I'm free :-)

Stacy Uncorked May 27, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I usually plan a nice dinner for the hubby - as for gifts, since Princess Nagger is too young to take care of that part, I try to get as creative as I can, based on his interests. It's also become a tradition to get him new shorts and summer shirts, especially so he'll have something new and nice when we head out on vacation. ;)

Self Sagacity May 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM

1) Not much, but I would like to out do last year. :-) I want to do something very different for SO this year for the kids sake.
2) I am lousy at gifts, but I do try to work on my weakness every day.

Anne Lyken-Garner May 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Thanks guys. I've left comments on your pages.

Blogger Broadcast May 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM

1)I am not sure, this year, I am going to try and give SO a foot massage. I think he will really love the pampering.
2) When is Father's day again? LOL

♥~Judy~♥ May 29, 2011 at 6:21 AM

When my father was alive I worked very hard to find the perfect something and when I was with the children's father, the same. Now I have no responsibilities for father's day.

Anne Lyken-Garner May 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM

BB, father's day is June 16th. And yes, men love pampering too. My husband won't say he does, but when he has the odd back massage, he loves it.

Anne Lyken-Garner May 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Judy, lucky you!
I still have to organise everything and make sure my son makes a card. He resists everything. :-)
Having said that, S has to make him to mine as well.

There was an error in this gadget
Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.