Do You Spend Too Much Time On Facebook

A year ago I spent a lot of time on Facebook. Recently though, I've found that I'm spending less and less time. I always start out with good intentions. I log in and try to network with people and view their updates. My plan is always to spend a little time on everyone I see on the first page (home page). I understand that I have to do this if I want them to be interested in me or what I have to say.
However, I look at updates and get sidetracked. I get caught up with an old friend's wedding pictures or someone's 'bad day'. Before I know it, I've spent 20 minutes there and have only looked at a few updates. I usually have to log out because that was my quota of Facebook time.

Lately, I haven't even bothered logging in. I really have to find the time to do so regularly, AND I have to develop the will power to avoid getting sucked in. I know that Facebook has benefits and is a valuable networking site for bloggers/writers like myself. Here's a post on the popular site, Blog Critics, explaining the 'virtues' of Facebook, if you don't agree with that opinion.

Now my questions are:
1. Do you spend too much time on Facebook?
2. What would you advice when it comes to monitoring one's time on the site?

This post is linked to Self-Sagacity's  Thursday Two Questions.

6 comments:

Icy BC June 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM

1) I used to spend way too much time on Facebook whenever I receive an email notification. Realizing that I was an addict, I went into Facebook setting, and reset what I wanted to know.

2) I have set a certain time for each site that I want to visit, for Facebook, it's now 5 minutes max, and on some days, none! It's not that important to me..It's now too commercialized!

Self Sagacity June 16, 2011 at 8:35 PM

1) I do not spend enough time on Facebook. I am not there often. I just go there for what I need to do and get the hell out. It is a place that you can find yourself posting frivolous things for hours- which I don't do.
2) I just do what I need to do and leave, that is the best way for me. ;-)

SquirrelQueen June 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM

I'm like Amanda and don't spend enough time on FB. I should be spending more time promoting my blogs on my fan page.

When I do spend time there I try to visit my friends and leave some comments. I don't use any of the apps, those are, to me, what really waste time.

DoanLegacy June 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM

No facebook for me! It's a waste of time, and nonsensical with people constant display of what they're doing.

Anne Lyken-Garner June 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Facebook can definitely get a bit addictive.
I try to just spend enough time there promoting my stuff and showing an interest in others. Sometimes I do get sucked in, though.

Blogger Broadcast July 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

1) I go to Facebook to check out my son's activities mostly. :-)
2) I would time it, or put myself on a timer. When time is up, that's it.

There was an error in this gadget
Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.