Online Dating: Doomed or Not

One of the things I've always said is that I would never try online dating. Perhaps the reason I say this is because I'm already happily married, and have never tried it. Many people have had horrible experiences with this type of dating. The problem is, there's a high proportion of self-misrepresentation on the Internet. People are always fatter, shorter, older or balder than you first thought. You never know what you're getting and it's highly unlikely couples will set off into the sunset and live happily ever after - or is it?

online_dating
will you be the next happy couple?

Having said that, people in real life also misrepresent themselves. You never know what you're getting because some people (men and women) are meaner, moodier and less loyal than you first thought. All things considered, (if I had to choose) I'd rather have a fatter, balder, older and shorter man, than a meaner, moodier and less loyal one. I know online dating has its pitfalls. And even though I have no use for it whatsoever, I applaud the people who're brave enough to try it. Someone very, very close to me has recently gotten married to the man of her dreams. She met him on the Internet!

Here are some other popular posts (on this blog) that consider the matter of online dating in more detail:
Best online dating sites: Global
Online dating: best practices

Now, my questions are: a. Do you think online dating sites like online dating oxford are a waste of time and money?
b. Were you single, would you choose online dating as the first choice when looking for a spouse?

This post is linked to Self-Sagacity in Thursday Two Questions

12 comments:

SquirrelQueen July 1, 2011 at 3:53 AM

I am really unsure of these kinds of sites, it is so easy to manufacturer information and post it on the internet.

I am very happily married but if I were single I might give them a try. I would however be very, very cautious and get to know the person before getting serious.

Self Sagacity July 1, 2011 at 5:55 AM

I think it depends on how one uses the sites. Some people abuse the system whatever way they can. Those people are scary, but there are scary people even in real life. I don't think those sites are a wasted of money or time. Again, it depends on what you are expecting. It could be a vehicle to use to an extent as long as you know why you're in it and not to let it be the only option you have to meet people. It is great if you use it with caution, just like in real life.

JamericanSpice July 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

It is only a waste of time depending on how you use it and what you desire to get out of it etc.

2. I met my husband online. So I know that not everyone online has crazy going on.

ALoha!

DoanLegacy July 1, 2011 at 2:27 PM

1) I would be extremely cautious when it comes to online dating, especially sites that require a fee!

2) I would not consider this kind of service if I were single. I'm old fashion :-)

Keats The Sunshine Girl July 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Perhaps it is an easier way to check out a 'suitable' person from the range of prospects provided on the online dating. Don't fall for everything though - go in with your eyes open!!
I would be scared to use this kind of service.

Anne Lyken-Garner July 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Thanks everyone. This subject always seem to have split opinions. More and more people are turning to online dating because they've been unlucky in the conventional dating game.
On the other hand, more traditional people are dead set against it. I think it's becoming more and more popular though.

Tips on how to get the perfect man July 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT HAS AND THEY LOVE IT. I ASK WHY? SHE SAYS THE TRILL OF NOT KNOWING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. I SAY IF YOU LIKE IT I LOVE IT. GOOD POST!

Icy BC July 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

1) I have tried once, long time ago, but when I finally met him, he wasn't the person in the photo, and when he bluntly told me what he wanted in a relationship, I knew it was not for me.

2) It will not be the first choice for me to meet other people.

♥~Judy~♥ July 4, 2011 at 3:27 AM

I signed up for eharmony once but my husband (then boyfriend) talked me into giving him another chance so I cancelled my membership. I know of so much misrepresentation there that I was glad to cancel because I was really scared.

Blogger Broadcast July 4, 2011 at 9:49 AM

1) No. I think it gives you an opportunity to check the person out even more, if you take your time.
2) Yes, I would. If I was single with kids, my options to go out would be limited and this is a great way to meet others with less hassles.

Cathy Kennedy July 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM

1) My first instinct is to say, yes it's a waste of time & money. However not being in the dating scene then I have no real clue. I've heard it's horrible to try to find someone interesting. My biggest concern is how easy it is for someone to misrepresent themselves to others.

2)If I were single, I would pray about how I would handle things. After all, I asked God for my wonderful husband and He delivered, so I would trust Him to do the same if I found myself in that situation (God forbid) someday. I believe I would include online dating, but it wouldn't be my only choice for meeting someone.

Gee, I'm so glad I'm happily married to a swell man! =D

Check out my recent post….
N is for Naughty or Nice

Visitng from Alphabe-Thursday/T2Q hop…
Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Cathy Kennedy July 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Gee, I'm so glad I'm happily married to a swell man! =D

Check out my recent post….
N is for Naughty or Nice

Visitng from Alphabe-Thursday/T2Q hop…
Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

There was an error in this gadget
Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.