Teenagers And Heartbreak

What do you do you when your teenager has their first heartbreak? Would you know how to handle teenagers and heartbreak?

You know that the bliss they feel when they're 'in love' won't last. You understand that they think it'll be forever, but you know otherwise. It can be a pretty scary thought knowing that something so blissful for your child has the potential to work out so badly.

You don't want to potentially spoil the relationship you have with your teen by handling their heartbreak badly. However, you also don't want to make them bitter about love or too caught up in the 'forever' moment. The balance has to be just right.

I came across a fine article about teenagers and heartbreak. It gives really good advice on what to do when your child has her first break-up and the aftermaths of it. Advice like not 'bashing' the ex or to be prepared for a relapse (and lots more) are very well expressed. You can go over and read it here.

7 comments:

Harleena Singh May 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Hi Anne,

Yes indeed, heartbreak and teenagers go so much hand in hand :)

I guess parents really don't know how and what to do in such cases as saying anything can often make them go to the other extent at times too. The need to be handled with utmost care and understanding.

Thanks for sharing that link, will surely check it out. Have a nice week ahead :)

Anne Lyken-Garner May 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week too, Harleena. I was very impressed with the article.

Judy SheldonWalker May 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Anne, it is a helpful link. Heartbreak is not limited to teens, however. lol

Self Sagacity May 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I certainly hope I won't have to deal with this for a while. But I feel like I have a heartache too when I boy goes through one, about once every 2/ 3 months. haha. Great post.

Anne Lyken-Garner May 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

You're right, Judy. Heartbreak is not only for teens. We feel it too and sometimes it knocks older people down worse than it does teens.

Anne Lyken-Garner May 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I know it seems like it's just the boys that are doing the 'leaving' but us girls can be just as bad with constant breaking up and finding someone new :-)

Jeremy Norton May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Even if my kids are still very young, I am already thinking of ways on how to handle them when they get older especially when they reach their teenage period. I'll surely take not of the advice I read.

There was an error in this gadget
Anne Lyken-Garner is a published author, editor and freelance writer. Her specialities include relationships and confidence building. You can find her inspirational memoir here.